Aurelio District Rome

Welcome in Campo de’ Fiori (“Field of Flowers”), a rectangular square south of Piazza Navona in Rome.

What a location to enjoy the heart of the Eternal City! Located exactly at the border between Rione Parione and rione Regola, Campo de’ Fiori is one block northeast from the Palazzo Farnese and diagonally southeast of the Palazzo della Cancelleria.

The peculiar name? Coming from the Middle Ages, when the area was simply… a meadow. During the Roman Emperor, Campo de’ Fiori was an forgotten space between Pompey’s Theatre and the flood-prone Tiber.

In 1456 under Pope Callixtus III, the area was paved the area as part of a greater project to improve the rione Parione. The square was created for commercial reasons: the surrounding streets are Via dei Balestrari (crossbow-makers), Via dei Chiavari (key-makers), Via dei Cappellari (hat-makers), Via dei Giubbonari (tailors) and also Via dei Baullari (coffer-makers)!

Then Campo de’ Fiori became a part of the Via Papale (Pope’s road), a street going from Basilica of St. John Lateran to the Vatican. The Pope traditionally run through it during the “Cavalcata del possesso” event after his election.

The most famous inn here is the “Taverna della Vacca” (Cow’s Inn): the owner, Vannozza dei Cattanei, was the most famous lover of Alexander VI Borgia.

The Borgia seal is still up on the inn! Go and visit it at the south west corner of the square. The marketplace in the afternoons hosts local games of football and a chatty crowd sitting outdoor the cafés. At night, Campo de’ Fiori is a lively and central meeting place for tourists and young people.

Apartments near Campo de’ Fiori


[wp_rss_multi_importer category="3"]